Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Fish and Chips to the Rescue

 

I didn't even think about a photo until we were on the way home, so this is shot of Spud's sign, stolen off the internet

Let me just say that it's been not a great stretch of days lately, and that the mood chez Aurora sans Gradka has not been pretty. So down were we that we didn't even take the sled out for a coast down any of the many neighborhood hills during the snowy weekend. And of course the bikes spent the slushy, snowy days indoors as we took walks instead.

Today it seemed like the roads were clear enough for me to bike into the office to print out some pages and that was something anyway; outings with Bessie pretty much always improve my outlook. On the return ride I got to the T-junction where a left takes me up the hill towards home while a right leads to Alki. It was after 2:00 in the afternoon, and all I'd had to eat was a few slices of toast. The sun was sort of shining and it was really too warm for the heavy coat etc. that I was wearing. I pulled over, called Scott, and asked how he'd feel about a fish & chips date on Alki. He sounded enthused so I waited while he coasted down the hill to meet me. 

A lot of people love Spud's. I'm going to admit that it was not the best fish & chips I'd ever had, or even had in Seattle. But it was quick and it was hot and they gave me a bunch of extra lemon wedges. We ate it at a picnic table across the street from the shop overlooking the Salish Sea, too, so I am so not complaining. And it meant another eight miles or so of mileage for the bike log. 




2 comments:

  1. But what about Sunfish? It's been ages since I had their fish'n'chips but I remember being quite happy with it.

    Sorry to hear about the mood re: Chez Aurora, and glad you were able to get out for a revivifying ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about Sunfish! But it also looks like they're closed (seemingly until things "open up' again, whenever that might be). I'll have to check them out this summer.

      That whole "grief not really leaving, just hiding occasionally," has been our experience, but sunny rides to the beach and understanding friends assuredly help. Thanks.

      Delete