Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Tapas Potatoes for St. Patrick's Day

 

Trust me, Imaginary Reader, it was lovely and delicious

Not every bike mileage update features a scenic photo of West Seattle views or thoughtfully arranged baked goods. No, sometimes the impetus for a ride is that we learn that Itto's business has picked up enough that they are no longer doing delivery only after we decide that we really don't want to make dinner and really do want some Itto's tapas. I placed the order and then Scott got the bikes out and we took the slightly scenic route to pick up dinner in the gloaming (which grew to full dark by the time we were home again). 

 But take-out food, particularly take-out that travels in Bessie's basket, does not stay particularly hot so there was no way I was going to delay things even further by taking photos of the lovely potatoes, beets, asparagus, dates, and so much goat cheese that I plated somewhat nicely. Which means empty take-out containers for tonight's photo shoot.

Scott is taking the week off to do some essential maintenance; I'm taking today and tomorrow. He has done some necessary painting and other odds and ends about the place; today I pruned roses and planted carrots. The BIG news hereabouts is that several of the tomato seeds have sprouted. We're chuffed, we are. It was nearly warm enough for outdoor cocktails today, and I did sit on the stump of the old cherry tree (cut down by Mr Oxman yesterday) to read a few pages of my current book. It's feeling very springlike, which is to say that both Scott and I are well aware that we are getting to be Quite Old People. Pruning and painting didn't used to hurt.



5 comments:

  1. I'll have the chicken bastilla, please.

    If I had a tree cutting business and that surname, I would have changed it to Axman. I sigh deeply at this missed opportunity.

    I feel old, too. Yesterday I climbed Candy Mt (1,315 ft, 3.4 miles roundtrip switchback trail), and had achy muscles for a good two hours afterwards. Most vexing. I was also sore after scraping, sanding, priming, and painting an outbuilding eave. More sighing.

    Remind me what roses you have -- I am getting some for the proposed garden space. Definitely getting my faves that I had in Seattle -- the Carefree Wonder shrub (floribunda) rose, and the two climbers Dublin Bay and The Magician. Any recs for others? I loathe hybrid teas but am happy to entertain more floribundas, climbers, and whatever else you'd care to suggest that isn't overburdened with excessive prickles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know a million times more about roses than I do. Most of ours were here when we moved in and I sort of assume most of them are hybrid teas. I would not recommend the climbing roses even if I knew what they were; they're badly behaved, have horrible thorns, and develop some sort of blight after their first bloom (which is beautiful) every year. So I'm no help on roses.

      I read about your ascent of Candy Mountain (abbreviation: Mtn) and I was impressed. It looks like a nice hike; did you see any good birds? It's the descent that has killed me lately (well, a year ago back when we went places and did things); I even have trekking poles now!

      Delete
    2. I went expressly on a very promising report of regular sightings of Chukars. Alas, they did not deign to appear for me. They never do. I only hear them. Buggers. I did see a few Horned Larks flying as fast from me as they could. Sigh.

      Mtn, huh? Thanks. I do like to know these things. Precision is important!
      Back at you: the pointy parts of roses are technically "prickles", not thorns.

      Delete
    3. Huh. What are thorns then?

      I've never seen a horned lark; I think I'd rather see one of those than a chukar. Maybe. Someday I'm going to visit the TriCities again and see the sights.

      Also, it looks like I'll be eligible for a vaccine after March 31; now I just have to figure out to find and get one.

      Delete
    4. Thorn – A sharp pointed modified stem (e.g. hawthorn). Spine – A sharp pointed structure that is a modified leaf or stipule (e.g., cacti). Prickle – A sharp outgrowth from the epidermis or bark (roses!)

      I had a crappy view of a Horned Lark on one of the Master Birder field trips, not ID'd by me, but still, I count it.

      Come visit! My house has a lovely big guest room with queen bed and a half-bath!

      My friends in the Puget Sound area had good luck getting vaccinated via Virginia Mason. That's not too far away -- hooray!

      Delete