Saturday, March 6, 2021

Marching forward


The bluest skies and finest views are in West Seattle

 The forecast for this weekend was classic Seattle: "showers in the morning, turning to rain in the afternoon," but it was, quite clearly, sunny as we were eating our toast this morning. Scott spotted me looking out the window with a speculative look and so asked me which bakery I was thinking about--or at least that's the way I remember it. I checked Seattle Weather Underground, which insisted that it was quite overcast and that it was only going to get wetter as the day progressed, and opted to go for Fresh Flours in West Seattle rather than the more distant Byen Bakeri or Besalu. (Yes, my decision was also influenced by which one was had the easiest pre-order system.)

 There was the briefest spot of light rain on the ride there and we were moved to pack ourselves up and leave our corner on the socially distanced Fresh Flours patio when it started to get too cold and spit a few drops on us, but overall, it was a dry and intermittently sunny outing; the photo above was taken on the ride home. I've lived in Seattle for something like forty years, off and on, but it's only in the last dozen years or so that I've discovered how many gorgeous views the city offers. West Seattle, I tell you, is the best.

Earlier on, I stopped to take the following pair of snaps, thinking they encapsulated the West Seattle, the day, or something:

I've seen little free libraries and little free pantries; this was the first puzzle exchange for me.


Scott would caption this one "cranky old man with bikes."


Some time after we got home, I at last got some tomato seeds into their starting mix soil, while Scott was taken with the light on Noel in the kitchen. (Noel normally lives outside, but the man who is to cut down our sickly cherry tree seemed to be frightened of him so Noel came into the house for a scrubbing and a break from the weather. We begin to wonder if the tree-man is ever coming back, however.)

Six each of five different varieties; that's not excessive, right?
Such a sweet fellow, our Noel. And his shadow.

And, as is traditional, the mileage thus far. I skipped a few days this last week and it shows:

97 lbs of CO2. 299 miles. So cuspy!



 

 

 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment