Sunday, March 7, 2021

Neither snow nor sleet nor . . . what the hell?

 

All our outerwear hung up to dry in the basement
 Today's ride was a measly two miles, round-trip, to and from the Farmers Market but I say the conditions make it worth a quick post.  We set out into a bit of wind, but it was otherwise pleasant enough. I'd been in the backyard earlier wearing a light sweater and that seemed quite comfortable. Fortunately, I put on my biking jacket anyway. By the time we were unlocking our bikes, post-shopping, it was starting to rain. It quickly turned to hail and then, shortly after we discovered our brakes weren't really working so well as we exited an alley, we realized there was snow mixed with the hail. The ride home took longer than usual (giving us that much longer in the cold, wet conditions) since we were both squeezing our brakes nearly as much as they could go; we really needed to control how much speed we picked up on the downhills. There was, thankfully, not much in the way of cross-traffic. It was a relief to get home.

And that's the 300-mile mark passed a week into March--wheeeee!

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Well, honestly, after all you've done to protect and defend Mother Nature! Glad you made it through safely.

    Though I admit to a mild sense of disappointment that your title did not end in "what the hail?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I also am disappointed my title did not end "what the hail." I hate to miss that sort of opportunity. But Mother Nature knows I love to feel smug and superior about cycling regardless of conditions so she thought she was doing me a favor, I'm sure.

      Delete