Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Wintering over water

The Big Storm hasn't materialized around Seattle, meaning that I've been able to get out on Bessie every day this week. Oh, I think I've been sprinkled on at least some most days, but it's still been, in a word, glorious. Yesterday was windy, but I realized I wanted to see what the clouds were like from the overlook we've been visiting regularly since the early days of the pandemic. It was worth battling some wind.

Today, I was more after mileage so I was happy to discover that the South Park branch of Seattle Public Library had a copy of Better Living Through Birding on its shelves since I'm trying to be a little more frugal about buying books. After picking up the book (and some free COVID tests!), I turned profligate and stopped for a coffee and pastry at The Scene in South Park. It wasn't entirely fiscally responsible, but it was damned fine. (Not to be confused with Real Fine Coffee which is also quite excellent.) Perhaps it was the coffee, though more likely it was a bit of a tailwind, but the ride homeward seemed much easier than the ride out had been. Views along the Duwamish helped:
 Indeed, the riding was so pleasant, I opted to continue along towards Alki, stopping en route to admire the views across the water:

Bessie started to feel like she wasn't getting her share of pixels so I pulled off onto a relatively new bit of pier/promenade to pose her against the skyline.
It was when she was posing by the Alki Statue of Liberty, however, that a passing stranger noted that her basket was reminiscent of an eagle's nest that had been around a while. I opted to take this as a compliment.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment