Monday, January 8, 2024

Bike-by Update

Post-ride recovery: crumpet and hot tea

 I'm still hazy about what I'm doing while not going to work every day. Oh, I still think I'd do well to find someone to pay me for something, but I don't know how likely that is to happen, and I really like not having to get up and get out by any particular time. 

 But, thus far at least, I'm still getting up (eventually) and getting out (most days). The forecast is for tomorrow to be significantly windy, with increasing rain and possibly snow by the end of the week so I thought it'd be a good idea to get Bessie out while I could. I took the scenic route* to fetch some essentials (because one doesn't like to be out of kitty litter) and so picked up some extra miles. It was a fine ride, as it happens, made all the finer by a civilized tea and crumpet after I got home. 

 Some day, perhaps, I'll do some sort of 2023 wrap-up recording books read, miles biked, etc. but, for now, a portrait of Bessie from Saturday's ride, when the rain held off until the final twenty minutes when it seriously poured.


 

 

*"Scenic route" is a bit of a stretch here since it was wet enough that my glasses were covered in rain drops so I was doing well to see the pavement, signage, and other vehicles.

5 comments:

  1. photos are not displaying for me, but who knows. maybe it's only me.... glad you are enjoying It's Not Really Retirement Maybe, or whatever it is you're not doing. I had a good time for a year or so doing a very low key (2 hours a week) volunteer gig at the Friends of the Library here. Take a class? Try out a new hobby? Learn to play an instrument? Art lessons? Foreign language? Do some sewing? Make some pillowcases for me out of Good Omens themed fabric? (I have a source for it!). Just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh of course NOW the pics are displaying after I commented. Bastards. Whoever they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it has taken me five minutes to get blogspot to allow me to post as myself rather than "Anonymous" so I'm with you on the "Bastards. Whoever they are" front.

    There are plenty of little projects I could be doing--including some sewing--but it turns out I'm very lazy. What sort of pillowcases?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, the kind you put on standard bed pillows. That kind. But only if you truly feel like it. Maybe for my birthday. That gives you oodles of time. I have no idea how much fabric that would require. I know zilch. But now that I think about it some more, I also have no idea what type of fabric the Good Omens themed design comes on, and whether it would even be appropriate for pillowcases. Dang. I shall try to investigate further and if enlightenment dawns, I will let you know.

    You are perfectly entitled to be lazy after dedicating 37 years to gainful employment. And that's just at your last gig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to give it a try, but I can't guarantee you'd be entirely happy with the results. But you'd definitely want to make sure that it would be comfortable to sleep on before going forward.

      Delete