Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Of cookies, mostly


Santa looking for one honest man on this year's Christmas tree

It's a dark, dark, dark world which I'm trying to ignore by doing the usual Christmas business of trees and modge podge and making cookies. I've misplaced my kitchen sink cookie recipe so I had to find an old email in which I'd sent a link to an article containing the recipe. I was intrigued to see that the piece (by Margaret Button in the Brattleboro Reformer) starts with:

I recently read an article on The New York Times wire service about procrastibaking — the practice of baking something completely unnecessary, with the intention of avoiding "real" work. Reporter Julia Moskin claimed it is a common habit of almost anyone who works at home and has a cookie sheet in the cupboard

 because I've had a hard time getting motivated to bake. I'd assumed it was my "dark, dark, dark" state of mind, but now I'm wondering if it's that I'm not working so I don't feel a need to avoid (or recover from) "real" work (to quote the excerpt). This relaxation business may be harder than I expected! Bravely, I soldier on.

This year's bits and bobs wreath (Yes, I'm quite taken with it.)


 PS. Looking for something else, I stumbled across this post from a few years ago in which kitchen sink cookies are discussed at length. How helpful blahdeblahblah will be if only I give it a chance!

 

7 comments:

  1. Baking is great therapy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Karen, right?) True, but on an unexpectedly sunny day, maybe a bike ride is even better therapy! -Mary

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. [Woo-hoo! My own blog recognizes who I am!] I'm glad you love the wreath but would you mind signing your comment? I hate not knowing who I'm talking to.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Wendy, was "love the wreath" you? -Mary

      Delete