Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Hast read the white whale? (Avast! Spoilers ahead!)

 

I finished Moby-Dick about an hour and a half ago and after sitting somewhat stunned for a few minutes I went in to interrupt Scott (who was trying to accomplish something himself) to say things like, "My goodness! I didn't see that coming! The Pequod! And, and, and . . .  " Which is a little absurd since I did see the movie with Gregory Peck as Ahab not that very long ago so you'd think I'd have remembered--plus, of course, it's sort of a book that one knows the ending of. But still. 

 It's a pretty amazing book with, admittedly, some pretty saggy middle. Oh, I was actually fascinated by some of the technical details about whale skeletons and the like, and truly intrigued by all the "pre-adamite fossil" discussion because I tend to think of the 1850s as a time when the Bible was still taken as literal truth and, clearly, Mr Melville well understands--and expects his readers to accept--that all manner of stuff was going on on Earth before humans showed up so that was somehow quite encouraging in some way. But I did sort of long to know what was happening to Queequeg who disappointingly pretty much disappears for very long stretches even when the focus is back on the Pequod

But Ahab's weird soliloquies and Stubb's hysterical ones and the sort of doomed MacBethesque prophecies and the so sad Pip and Starbuck's rigid yet sympathetic morality and the unexpected little playlets and the fact that Moby-Dick himself does not appear until the final thirty pages--it was all so much better and more than I expected. (The detailed descriptions of whale slaughter and the rendering down of whales were also even more disturbing than I'd envisioned.) 

Early on I was making note of some of my favorite quotes but then I dropped that so I offer only a few quotes from early on and then one very brief bit from the final chapters:

Scott points out that Melville had an office job:

"Huge hills and mountains of casks on casks were piled upon her wharves, and side by side the world-wandering whale ships lay silent and safely moored at last; while from others came a sound of carpenters and coopers, with blended noises of fires and forges to melt the pitch, all betokening that new cruises were on the start; that one most perilous and long voyage ended, only begins a second; and a second ended, only begins a third, and so on, for ever and for aye. Such is the endlessness, yea, the intolerableness of all earthly effort." 

--from page 51 of the Wordsworth Classics edition of Moby-Dick by Herman Melville (red letter edition aspect added)

 This bit also seems timely:

"I say, we good Presbyterian Christians should be charitable in these things, and not fancy ourselves so vastly superior to other mortals, pagans and what not, because of their half-crazy conceits on these subjects. There was Queequeg, now, certainly entertaining the most absurd notions about Yojo and his Ramadan;—but what of that? Queequeg thought he knew what he was about, I suppose; he seemed to be content; and there let him rest. All our arguing with him would not avail; let him be, I say: and Heaven have mercy on us all—Presbyterians and Pagans alike—for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending."

 --from page 70, ditto 

And then the long gap until I marked:

"In this attitude the white whale now shook the slight cedar as a mildly cruel cat her mouse."

--from page 449, ibid. (It's the "mildly cruel" that sells this one for me.)

 (And a few additional quotes, added later, are here)

I feel a bit sorry for Jonathan Evison's Again and Again; it's going to be pretty impossible for any book, I think, to compete with Moby-Dick.

5 comments:

  1. It's been decades since I read it, during a "must read the classics to be a well-rounded person" phase which resulted in a lot of boredom and annoyance. I remember being bored a lot. I remember learning more about whales than I truly wished to. But mostly, I remember one part of Ahab's ravings during the chase which stunned me to the core and made the whole experience worthwhile. (Ditto "War and Peace", which I put up with for the sake of one shattering paragraph, as well as "Hard Times", thankfully much shorter but incredibly tedious, redeemed solely by one haunting sentence near the end.)

    I had to peruse the Gutenberg version, but I found it:

    “Starbuck, of late I’ve felt strangely moved to thee; ever since that hour we both saw—thou know’st what, in one another’s eyes. But in this matter of the whale, be the front of thy face to me as the palm of this hand—a lipless, unfeatured blank. Ahab is for ever Ahab, man. This whole act’s immutably decreed. ’Twas rehearsed by thee and me a billion years before this ocean rolled. Fool! I am the Fates’ lieutenant; I act under orders."

    It was that idea of the Ahab-White Whale encounter being written in the fates from eons past that blew me away at the time. Of course, I was much younger and more impressionable then. But it's still an amazing thing to toss in there, and it has stayed with me for probably a good thirty years or more.

    I do like the quotes you chose to highlight. Mighty damn fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For whatever reason, I can't log in to comment . . . but I see you can; any suggestions for me? I also like your quote; it's Ahab's perspective that he's powerless that appeals to me--which is maybe the same as it having been foreordained. Was your "must read classics" phase while you were at Michael's, dutifully reading books from each section? -Mary

      Delete
    2. I used my Google account to reply, that seemed to work.
      I tackled a lot of the classics in college years, of course, while pursuing my useful liberal education. All the Greek playwrights, a lot of Shakespeare, a tremendous amount of dull poetry (though I remain fond of Tennyson), and the usual stuff one has to read as an English Lit major (which I was for a year and a half or so)...Beowulf, Chaucer, Defoe, Swift, Austen, Brontes, Eliot (George)...out of it all, I liked Dickens the best. Then more self-torture in my 30s, but I didn't do the bookstore shelf thing for that reason. Just wanted to bore myself all on my own. I had a brief foray into French "life is absurd" lit, and paid a visit to Russian "no, life is absurd, depressing, and just when you figure it all out you die" lit, and then had some unpleasant moments with Twain and Steinbeck.

      What do you mean by "any suggestions for me"? Haven't you read everything classic? I did like the Count of Monte Cristo very much. Pretty sure you've read everything in that line that I've read. I hated Kipling, for what that's worth.

      Having finished my re-read of Angela Thirkell, I've run out of stuff, and have been making do with some old Agatha Christies that are only mildly entertaining. Nothing is very appealing of late, so I just read (and write) Good Omens fanfic instead. (PG rated only, of course.) I can hardly go about recommending that. Though other insane fans seem to enjoy it.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, still something weird with google and browser configurations keeping me anonymous which I just can't care enough about to try to figure out. But it was my logging-in difficulty that I was asking for help on because you're right that I don't necessarily need classics recommended to me. Though I've never read Beowulf or Chaucer or much in the way of Victorian poetry, I'm fine keeping it that way. Thirkell led to Trollope for me, and there's a writer that one is unlikely to exhaust.

      Delete
  2. I haven't yet picked up Moby Dick, but am reading Nathaniel Philbrick's, Why Read Moby Dick. It is getting me motivated.

    ReplyDelete