Friday, June 7, 2019

2019 Book Bingo, Day 11

So maybe a daily or even weekly update on my book bingo process is a little too ambitious for me. If I'm being quite honest, I'll admit that even every ten days is likely a stretch, but this evening I finished Peculiar Ground, which I'm calling my "recommended by a bookseller" title, so I'm moved to update. Truth to tell, I think I asked about this title, which had a shelf reader at Magnolia's Bookstore, but the book that was truly recommended there was News of the World which I read too early in May for it to count for Book Bingo. I consider that too bad, as it was a truly excellent book. Peculiar Ground was fine enough for what it was, but I feel like it's sort of a style of book I may have outgrown, or--to be less condescending, perhaps--that just no longer fits me.

 The Wall Street Journal cover blurb compares Ms. Hughes-Hallett to A.S. Byatt. Earlier, I considered that a bit of a stretch, but on reflection, I suspect it's accurate. Last time I reread Possession I wasn't entirely blown away either. I found Peculiar Ground pretty easy to set aside (disqualifying it for the "couldn't put down" square); I just didn't care all that much about the people or their stories--in part, because there are a lot of characters, many of whom seem to share the same traits. Fortunately, there's a "Dramatis Personae" in the front, a feature I considered quite affected initially, but I found myself referring to it repeatedly, mumbling to myself, "Which one is Guy again? Who the hell is Fergus?" In the back there's a discussion with the author about whether it's a "country house novel," a genre with which I was unfamiliar. I sort of thought it was a book about a house which made me think of Visitation; a much shorter book that covers the same peculiar ground far more elegantly.

 Beth Jusino pointed out to me that the rules on the back of the bingo card say you can count any book read between May 14th and September 3rd so Slaves of Solitude makes the cut after all. That's the fiction square squandered early on, but I'm having my doubts about how many books I'm going to manage to get read this summer so I'm taking it. I'm also violating one of my own rules and using a work book to fill in "by an author from Mexico or Canada": Sharon Wood's Rising won't be published until October but, as it happens, I spent the last couple of days reading a set of pages for it so there I am, with three squares filled less than two weeks in. Go me. 

 Odds are I'll next turn to the one-word title category since T.F. Powys' Unclay has an inviting cover and has been sitting on the top of a bookstore day pile that has yet to be shifted. Fingers, as ever, crossed.

3 comments:

  1. The Richland Public Library has an "Adult Summer Reading Challenge" which is truly rinky-dink compared to SPL. It has only 9 squares, and only *six* of those are actual books. The other three are "a space-related article", "a space movie", and "attend a community event or library program." The space stuff is because there are events all summer long at the library to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, or as I like to think of it, the anniversary of your Earth landing.

    The book challenges are "an author new to you" (easy, since I read a lot of nonfiction), "a book on space exploration", "a mythology book" (at least not everything is spacey), "a book from 2018-19"), "any book of your choice" (really? let's make this HARD), and "a book suggested by a friend." I'm planning to ask on FB for suggestions for that one.

    Speaking of FB, on an unrelated, non-book note, I'm surprised you didn't comment on my post from Wednesday in which there were *goats*. Baby goats! I can only assume you didn't see it, or were so insanely envious that you couldn't comment. The sketch group went to a private home where there were Nubian goats and Alpine goats and one-month-old rambunctious Alpine kids. Fabulous fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I *did* see about the goats and I *was* fabulously envious. And sorry that you didn't feel equal to drawing them. I'm envious of a lot your Richland activities, actually, but then I remember that it's Richland and also realize it is retirement that I find enviable.

      Scott pointed out I was sort of phoning it in on book bingo this year; maybe I should just play the RPL version instead.

      I am touched by your interpretation of the anniversary. I've always assumed that my father used some sort of influence on the timing of the landing in order to celebrate my birthday.

      Not to anticipate your FB request, but I truly do recommend "News of the World." I've only read one of Louise Penny's "Gamache" mysteries ("Still Life") but it was pretty good too.

      Delete
    2. I've read four or five of the Gamache series (it fell apart for me after that, as series often do). Enjoyed the setting and the quirky characters. I just looked up "News of the World" and saw that it had the virtue of being short, so I will give it a try.

      I am enjoying Richland a lot, which seems odd, but yes, maybe a lot of it is simply the joy of being retired. Also, I've found a group of artists here that I get along with very well and who are incredibly active -- that makes a big difference. I do intend to avoid most of the summer, though -- I'm not crazy. The plan is to be in Shoreline July 12 - Aug 27. There will be birding at the Fill!

      Delete