Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Between books

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the state of being between books is extremely disquieting to some of us. Well, to me. And maybe it's only acknowledged by the handful of people who know me well enough to know that I get very twitchy when I am, as I say, between books.

 Even worse, I am realizing, is to be between books after having read a couple of what might be called, more or less accurately, "stinkers." Oh, Beatrix Lehmann's Rumour of Heaven probably wasn't really as bad as all that. It just didn't so much hold my attention, and I tended to fall asleep while holding it in the evening. That could have been because I've been tired lately. But it doesn't go on my list of favorite books read, no matter how long such a list might be.

 It would, however, fall somewhat higher on that infinite list than The Mitford Mysteries which book, thank god, I got from the library. I'd read a good review for it."I like Nancy Mitford and I like mysteries," I said to myself. "This is the book for me!" Alas, I was so wrong. I'd forgotten that what I liked was a decently crafted mystery. You can't declare at the end of chapter 1 that "no one saw her alive again" and then have the victim weakly waving as she is carried off the train and then slowly dying in a hospital some chapters later. No, you cannot. One might also ask how a laundress's daughter who picks pockets to get by gets hired as a nursery maid in a decent family. Oh, Ms Fellowes is maybe related to the man behind Downton Abbey, but has she never seen the first act of My Fair Lady?

 So I'm feeling a little skittish picking up the next book. I thought briefly about Moby Dick, a book that Scott loves and that I've never read, but I'm worried that it will also disappoint and that would be bad. I realized I want something less challenging, and with less on the line, so to speak. I said, in fact, that I wanted a nice book about cats. (I may have been talking to Gradka at the time.) And then I went into another room and had a look at the shelves. I determined that I didn't have any unread Trollope (and wasn't I disappointed to learn, immediately after finishing The Duke's Children, that there is now an unabridged version of that book out? It seems Trollope's publisher insisted he cut some 65,000 words  from his 200,000-word manuscript before it could be published. A few years back some enterprising person restored all those cut words. The full-length version is supposed to be quite good. But I'm not about to reread that volume quite so soon, even in a restored version. I digress). But a few shelves over from the Trollope is Antonia White and, when suffering from writer's block, Antonia wrote a 120 pages of fluff called Minka & Curdy. Tagline: "The enchanting story of a writer and her cats." There are illustrations. I think it's just the thing to get me through this traumatic period. Then maybe I'll go whaling.

4 comments:

  1. Since I routinely have two books going at once (one fiction, one nonfiction), this issue rarely crops up unless I finish them both at the same time. I also had a recent disappointment and was glad it was a library book: "Murder in an English Village" which promised an old-fashioned mystery in the 1920s (by a contemporary author). Alas, the typos were so bad that at one point a suspect randomly acquired another character's surname for a chapter or two. Plus most of the characters were dull and underdeveloped. Sigh.

    There was one amazing paragraph of Moby Dick which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm fairly certain it was not worth slogging through the other endless pages for, however (and it comes very late). As the kids say, your mileage may vary.

    I'm busy working through a personal challenge to read a nonfiction work on each of the U.S. states. Alabama was good, Alaska was ok but overwritten (McPhee), and I'm now on Arizona which is fabulous.

    Good luck with the kitty cats! I'm sure Gradka approves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Minka and Curdy" is pretty much a children's book--even you might like it! It's very much a placeholder/stalling tactic; I'll be back where I was before the weekend.

      What does "on each of the US states" mean? That the book has to actually be about that state? Or just set there? And are you really going to go in alphabetical order? That's pretty impressive.

      Thanks for the warning about the English Village mystery. Why *is* it so difficult to get a properly written mystery? And why, in such a world, does Patience Quince lack a publisher?

      Delete
    2. My U.S. challenge is specifically nonfiction only, and specifically about each state. "Alabama: One Big Front Porch" told mostly 18th-19th century folklore and unusual historical tidbits in a charming fashion. "Coming Into the Country" (John McPhee) had about 200 excellent pages about backcountry living among 400 pages of dullness or redundancy. "Going Back to Bisbee" (Richard Shelton) is my current book with a mix of history and natural history woven into a personal memoir and it's very well written.

      I am at a loss re: good, new mystery authors. I've read SO many over the past five years or more that were dull or ridiculous or stupid or silly or just plain badly written that I am ready to give up. I'm currently reading "Dead Men Don't Ski" by Patricia Moyes, written in 1959, and it's good. The Kids These Days, they can't write worth s**t.

      I'm also doing the rather easy "10 To Try" challenge at King County Library -- my "book about food" was Julia Child's "My Life In France" which I highly recommend, and my "book by Native American" was Alexie's "Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian" (YA, too) which was depressing yet so engagingly written that I didn't mind too much.

      Don't you always have a TBR pile in the house? Isn't that what all your bookstore shopping expeditions are *for*???

      Delete
  2. Oh, I have piles of books I haven't read scattered about the house; they just don't happen to appeal sometimes. I ended up picking up *two* nonfiction books. The world is definitely spinning out of control. "My Life in France" was one of my books during last summer's book bingo; I liked it so much that I asked for "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" for my birthday though I don't know that I'll ever make anything from those two volumes. Ms Child seemed a hoot and a half. She wouldn't recognize Les Halles now.

    ReplyDelete