Sunday, March 21, 2021

Spring Equinox Weekend

I always think of Alex quoting Harvey Manning when I see one of these little bits of blue sky.

Saturday we rode for 24 miles in order to visit the Montlake Fill for the first time in over a year and also, okay, to see what Byen Bakeri might happen to have left in its cases at 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon. (Answer: croissants, cookies, and tempting but too fragile for pannier transportation cakes and tarts.) 

Bikes at a bakery. Again.
The forecast warned of rain, but Scott (quoting Madi Carlson quoting her grandmother) pointed out that we weren't made of sugar so we packed ourselves up and set out. Spoiler alert: it started bucketing down by the time we'd reached Fremont on the return trip and we were utterly soaked before we reached South Lake Union. The trail that runs parallel to Westlake is handy, but it has some serious puddles as we discovered. I suggested that we should check into the Mayflower Hotel and order room service and I'm not sure I was entirely joking. Instead we continued home to West Seattle, wheezing our way up the final hill. I found I truly was wet to the skin (I still haven't attempted to re-waterproof the sleeves of my cycling jacket) so I showered while Scott put together restorative cocktails. 

Cormorants against a backdrop of cranes
But the Fill was a good time and well worth risking hypothermia, frostbite, and other cold injuries. (Seriously, trench foot seemed likely.) It was oddly busy--a lot of teens and twenty-somethings out with inexpensive binoculars and guidebooks at one end of the spectrum and a pair of quite young photographers with mammoth camera lenses at another end of my imaginary range. The Fill has changed a bit since my last visit: the old parking lot that was being converted to wetland is now a sea of cattails, while Scott mourned the loss of more than one tree. The birds, I've got to admit, didn't seem to care one way or another, though maybe that's not true. We used to see killdeer in that parking lot and on this visit it was home to some dueling blackbirds and a black-capped chickadee who was quite dedicated to tearing apart a cattail--looking for bugs? just showing off its cattail-destruction prowess for a potential mate? I can't say. 

The old parking lot from across the canal
There were shovelers on shoveler pond and plenty of water birds wintering over water though, technically, it was the first day of Spring. We were pleased to see teals, mergansers, coots, buffleheads, mallards, wigeons, comorants, and great blue herons on the water, while Scott spotted a kingfisher quite high in a tree (avoiding the papparazzi?). Yellow-rumped warblers were just everywhere.

Clouds and trees reflected in the canal from the bridge
We heard but did not see a very vocal marsh wren by the bridge and saw and heard a few Bewick's wrens here and there. A bald eagle flew overhead as we were discussing whether the hawk in a tree was a Cooper's or sharp-shinned. (I always assume sharp-shinned.) So, all in all, a good day out, though I wouldn't have minded being spared the drenching. 


Whether it was yesterday's wet or the fact that today is cold and gray, we realized we didn't really desperately need anything at the Farmers Market so today is being a zero day. Part of the calculations about the market included a realization that stuff is blooming in the yard so I could supplement the remains of last week's tulips with some of our own Lenten roses, grape hyacinth, and camellias.  

The results of some back- and side-yard foraging
A lazy day, then, of reviewing yesterday's photos (and realizing I really need to have my camera cleaned) and reading Trollope.

This week's flower arrangements

4 comments:

  1. I would always assume Cooper's first, as being the more common. Connie reports that the Fill has been more crowded than ever this past year. She also says they are putting (or have already put?) two gourds near the Osprey platform to entice those Purple Martins we saw on my last visit...which was a century or so ago. Did you notice anything there?

    Going from a cozy inside to a relatively cozy outside can be monotonous. There are times when I've been caught out in wild, wet weather and LIKED it simply because the contrast with the inside was so much stronger -- that is, the dry clothes and warm cocoa awaiting me at home were so much more enticing and rewarding, and the utter relief at arriving home safely was so much more gratifying than if I had merely walked home in mundane weather. I'm quite sure the feeling of actually enjoying this sort of contrast ought to have a long German word for it -- perhaps Scott can concoct one?

    NOTHING is blooming in my yard yet! Not that there is much out there to begin with, but I have plans for that problem. Soon.

    I believe Harvey's quote was something along the lines of the Puget Sound skies reminding him of a gray blanket occasionally punctured by blue holes, yes? So. so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our German friends have Winterfreude, which is the joy of wintertime, so perhaps they might have Wetterfreude, the joy of weather, or Gewitterfreude, the joy of thunderstorms. Or Naturkontrastfreude, the joy of nature's contrasts. So many Freuden, so little Zeit.

      Delete
    2. Naturkontrastfreude is probably closest, though I think they need a new word meaninng basically "bad weather/cozy home kontrastfreude".

      Danke sehr!

      Delete
    3. How handy that you've kept each other amused while I've been away--especially as I've kein clue about German expressions for weather and the appreciation or lack thereof. I failed to notice gourds by the osprey platform, though I did notice the platform itself seemed unoccupied.

      I do appreciate interesting weather occasionally, and Saturday wasn't really all that bad, all things considered. I took a bus home from downtown after an appointment on First Hill yesterday and *that*--the time on Metro--was pretty petrifying. I'll bike both ways next time, regardless of bits of thunder and predicted hail.

      Delete