Saturday, April 22, 2023

Happy Earth Day, 2023 edition

Shockingly, it did not rain all day. I didn't manage a bike ride, but I did finally shift the mower out of the garage and get the grass cut for the first time this year. I was pleasantly surprised to find that shifting a push mower through slightly wet grass, some of it pretty damned long, wasn't as impossible as I expected. The front yard seems to be less thick with moss this year; I'm not sure why that should be, but it made for a much easier first mow. 

After that bit of labor (and some raking and sweeping because the magnolia and the camellias are dropping a lot of petals), Scott made me a small pot of tea which I carried out to the Folly where I sat for some hours with my book and my camera. Alas, the very gold goldfinches did not pose for me, but some other very attractive birds stopped by. 

Black-capped chickadee in the magnolia (not all the petals have dropped)

Very handsome white-crowned sparrow, first appearance


Plum blossoms, sadly not being visited by any mason bees

Steller's jay coming up the path to pay a visit

Tulips in the hillside block. A passing dogwalker declared them to be a kaleidoscope of color.

White-crowned sparrow with, I'm thinking, a very fresh white crown

Molting goldfinch


No comments:

Post a Comment