Monday, July 30, 2018

Very fleeting - Book Bingo Update

It's practically the end of July and my last post was a quick bunch of links relating to housiversary in mid-June. I'm continuing my trend of not really writing anything here and yet pretending not to have dropped blogging entirely--god knows why. But on looking at my in-progress summer reading bingo card earlier this evening, I observed to Scott that I seemed to be doing my best to fill as many squares as possible without getting a bingo. I share the evidence here:



I have plans for some of the remaining squares (I swear that I am starting Silent Spring for the "environment" square tomorrow and that one of these days I'll get a copy of Jonathan Evison's Lawn Boy for "local author") but many of them (author or character with a disability, history . . . ) are still TBD. I welcome suggestions.

 Thus far, Wolf Hollow, Jane Eyre, and Diary of a Provincial Lady have been my favorites. Death at the Chateau Bremont has possibly edged out Notes of a Crocodile for least engaging while The Only Story, Warlight, and A Fairly Good Time are fighting it out for most forgettable.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Diary of a Provincial Lady. Just my speed.

    Mystery: Rest You Merry (Charlotte Macleod); Jade Dragon Mountain (Elsa Hart); The Awkward Squad (Sophie Henaff).

    History: Unfamiliar Fishes (Sarah Vowell)

    Disability: Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes); My Life in Pictures (Temple Grandin)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've read "Unfamiliar Fishes" already, but Sarah Vowell is a good thought--thanks! I'll also check out your mystery recommendations. It's been about 40 years since I read "Flowers for Algernon" last; "My Life in Pictures" I just don't know--I'll look into it. Thank you ever so!

      Delete
    2. ps. It looks like the title is actually "Thinking in Pictures." Too bad; "My Life in Pictures" looked like a quick easy read!

      Delete
    3. Oops, my bad, thanks for finding correct Grandin title. Re: Flowers for Algernon--do you remember much from 40 years ago? You're allowing yourself re-reads, yes, since you must have read High Rising ages ago. You could also re-read Of Mice and Men for that one.

      Delete
    4. Or Treasure Island, for the wooden leg!

      Delete
    5. As we've discussed, maybe . . .

      Delete
  2. I still can't read "Flowers for Algernon" without crying! I can't read the tiny squares on your bingo card, so not sure what categories are left. If you still need science fiction, this year read "Dandelion Wine" which I suggested last time...but it's sort of a novel with connected, but somewhat separate chapters....if you still need a science/medical book...if that's even a real category, the book I was trying to think of last year was "Cancer: the Empress of Maladies" it was an interesting read and a good series on PBS. For mysteries, I just read Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot type stuff...so not much use there. Obviously, living in the past. Good luck on getting to Bingo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the image to get it to appear larger. There's no sci-fi or science this year.

      Delete
  3. No Sci-fi or science!!! What the hell!! Has Trump gotten to them too???!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I suppose that's possible. I think it's more that they want to mix up the categories. We've tried everything we can think of to get "The Case for Pluto" to fit a category but thus far we haven't found a way.

      Delete