Friday, November 24, 2017

The Giraffes Who Saved Thanksgiving

Never has this blog been more aptly named. I am not feeling particularly frivolous, and yet I am determined to post a frivolous update. Words are just not working for me so it's photos illustrating the 2017 edition of Thanksgiving which this year featured Scott and me hosting a small dinner chez Aurora. Oh I say it featured us hosting, but truly it featured Anita making cunning rose petal hats for the absurd napkin rings. 



The giraffes featured prominently in the minimalist table setting that resulted from discovering that we had no tapers in the house. When life doesn't give you a great big old South American herbivore, I say, make use of the African cameleopards you have in your napkin drawer.
Nothing says elegance like giraffe napkin rings
Stuffing: check. Squash: check. Sprouts: check.
At pushing 3:00 in the afternoon, with the table set and various others bits of business well in hand, we felt confident enough about our timing and preparations to indulge in mimosas (made with oranges sent to the Mountaineers Books' office by Gail Storey, author of I Promise Not to Suffer). Perhaps it was the mimosas that enabled us to just roll with it when the turkey turned out to be quite done some forty minutes ahead of schedule. One way or another, I insist, it all worked out fine (though you'll be seeing no photos of the bird Scott inevitably named Larry in this post).

November 23 bouquet (note fresh pea vine)
The company was fine and the conversation perhaps unnaturally light on politics, even with the wine flowing freely. I always enjoy seeing what Anita will create with the materials to hand:


After we'd bid our company adieu, I addressed myself to washing the piles of dishes while Scott shifted furniture about (much to Gradka's relief; she had been worried earlier when tables and chairs were moved from their customary spots).
Happily, there were remarkably few pots and pans.
And, because I'm all about the tidying, this was the view in the backyard early this afternoon:

But, of course, the giraffes should get the final image:




No comments:

Post a Comment